LANSING (WWJ/AP) – A 25-year-old Lansing-area woman whose baby boy is missing and presumed dead has been found competent to stand trial in the 2013 death of her baby daughter.
A psychologist at Michigan’s Center for Forensic Psychiatry, however, hasn’t given an opinion about 25-year-old Melissa Mitin’s mental state at the time she allegedly killed her newborn girl.READ MORE: Donations Needed For Landfill Search To Find Zion Foster
An opinion regarding criminal responsibility is expected to be made within three to four weeks.
Mitin’s attorney, Frank Reynolds, said at a hearing Thursday in Ingham County Circuit Court that he will rely on his own experts, as well.
Mitin was charged last year in the Dec. 26, 2013, death of her daughter. According to testimony in the case, she concealed the pregnancy, gave birth in a bathroom and put the infant face down in a wastebasket. The umbilical cord and placenta were still attached. Mitin told police that after giving birth, the baby cried but then stopped breathing.READ MORE: Businesses Make Changes To Keep Customers Safe Amid Boil Water Advisory In SE Michigan
At a previous hearing, Reynolds said he had “serious concerns” about Mitin’s psychological well-being, although he declined to elaborate. Mitin in January told a judge that she “could not recall” what happened to a baby boy she apparently delivered in December. The baby has yet to be found.
TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
MORE NEWS: Detroit Police Search For Suspect Accused Of Carjacking Woman