DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – A judge has reduced the bonds for a Detroit father and stepmother charged with torture and child abuse after the man’s missing son was found hidden in the basement of their townhome.

District Court Judge Shannon Holmes on Friday cut bonds for Charlie Bothuell IV and Monique Dillard-Bothuell from $500,000 to $50,000. She also ordered them to wear GPS tethers if released from jail and to have no contact with children.

Charlie Bothuell V was 12 years old last June when police found him behind boxes and a large plastic drum after a highly publicized 11-day search.

When the boy discovered, Bothuell was caught in the middle of a live TV interview with Nancy Grace.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy alleges that Bothuell and his wife “systematically physically abused the child, forced him to live in the basement and not socialize with others, intentionally deprived him of food and forced him to engage in an extreme and unreasonable exercise regime.”

The father and stepmother have denied any abuse, although the elder Bothuell told state investigators last year that he had struck his son with a PVC pipe.

Prosecutors have said the boy was “very thin, with marks on his upper body.”

A preliminary examination in the case is set for on Thursday, March 5.

Charlie remains in the custody of his biological mother.

TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s