By Edward Cardenas
DETROIT (CBS Detroit) – Visitors to the “Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo in Detroit” exhibit at the Detroit Institute of Arts will notice something unique for the museum – bilingual displays.
The exhibit, which explores the year Mexican artists Rivera and Kahlo spent in the Detroit during the creation of the “Detroit Industry” mural in the DIA’s garden court, has a number of media components in both English and Spanish.
Signage describing the various works by both artists; subtitles movies showing their lives in their city and audio tours are both offered in both languages.
Museum officials stated that this was the first time the DIA has offered a bilingual exhibition, which is an opportunity for Mexican Americans living in southwest Detroit and Michigan – and tourists from Mexico – to visit and understand the various displays which chronicle the couple’s time in Detroit.
By showcasing their works from the early 1930s, along with exhibiting paintings that showcases Kahlo’s growth as an artist, makes the Detroit Institute of Arts exhibit important to the art world and showcasing the impact of Mexican artists.
“When you put Diego and Frida together here, this is an incredible showcase of what Mexicans have done here in the United States,” said Juan Manuel Solana Morales, Consul of Mexico, at the media preview of the exhibit. “It is a great opportunity for Mexican Americans, and Mexican living in the area, to learn a little bit more about our culture and our origins.”
About the exhibit:
- The exhibit will run through July 12, 2015
- The DIA will hold an Instagram photo scavenger hunt of locations visited by Rivera and Kahlo during the exhibit. Participants will have the chance to win prizes.
- A 248-page hard-cover catalog ($50) will accompany the exhibition, available in the DIA Museum Shop.
- The DIA will be offering a variety of related programs and dozens of community groups and other organizations are also hosting related programs, which are posted at www.ixiti.com/diegoandfrida.
- Audio tours for adults and youth in English and Spanish are included in ticket price.
- The exhibit is free for DIA members.
- Ticket prices for non-members are:
- Tuesday–Friday Adults $14 Ages 6-17 $9 Adult groups $12 Ages 6-17 groups $8
- Saturday–Sunday Adults $19 Ages 6-17 $9 Adult groups $16 Ages 6-17 groups $8