LANSING (WWJ/AP) – A utility says it didn’t break any rules when it shut off natural gas service at a Detroit-area home where authorities say a man died of hypothermia and other causes.

The Michigan Public Service Commission directed Jackson-based Consumers Energy to investigate and submit a report after the body of 69-year-old John Skelley was discovered in his Hazel Park home earlier this year.

Consumer Energy said in the report that a man identified only as Joseph, believed to be a roommate, was the payer on the natural gas bill, not Skelley.

Joseph was reportedly notified three times of an impending shut-off after not paying the bills. Consumers Energy spokesperson Debra Dodd said he owed nearly $760 and had fallen behind on a payment plan.

Service was cut on Jan. 19, and Skelley was discovered unresponsive, huddled under blankets in front of a space heater at around 8 a.m. on Feb. 1. The high temperature was 18 with a low of 2 degrees on the day he died.

A commission spokeswoman says the panel will review the report.

TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments

Leave a Reply