SANDUSKY, Ohio – It’s a popular day trip destination for metro Detroiters, and a signal that the warm weather could be here to stay — at least for a little while: Cedar Point opens tomorrow.
That’s right, on Saturday, May 9, visitors can hop on their favorite rides from the past and check out the park’s newest addition, the Rougarou – the park’s first floorless roller coaster.
This new “floorless scream machine” is Cedar Point’s 17th roller coaster and provides an experience unlike any other at the park.
It’s described this way: “Towering 14 stories above the midway, Rougarou flips its passengers upside down an amazing four times at speeds over 60 miles per hour, all while their feet dangle just inches above the steel track below.”
Here are seven more reasons to visit the park this summer, courtesy of Cedar Point. And know before you go, that single day passes are now $62 at the gate.
Sweet Spot – This new candy shop, located next to the Pagoda Gift Shop, features fresh fudge, caramel apples and other mouth-watering treats. Large front windows along the Main Midway allow guests to watch the candy-making process.
- Quaker Steak & Lube – Located adjacent to Castaway Bay, this award-winning casual-dining franchise is known for its Best Wings USA and more than 25 sauces that come in a full range of flavors from Louisiana Lickers to Triple Atomic.
- Lakeside Pavilion – Groups visiting Cedar Point in 2015 have the option to have their meal or event in the new Lakeside Pavilion and Dining Room! Nestled along the Cedar Point boardwalk with panoramic views of Lake Erie, this newly-renovated area features covered meeting space for groups of all sizes.
- Rouga-food – Rougarou feeds on screams and now you can feed on ice cream with a new Rougarou-inspired flavor at the Toft’s Ice Cream Parlor. You can also enjoy an ice-cold Rougabrew, a new craft brew made exclusively for Cedar Point, or go non-alcoholic with an exclusive RougaCool beverage at the park’s Coca-Cola Freestyle machines!
- Classic Rides in New Locations –Tiki Twirl, the park’s former Calypso spinning ride, has been relocated to the Wicked Twister Midway and renamed as a nod to a former ride at the park; Joe Cool’s Dodgem School, the kid-friendly former Krazy Kars kiddie bumper cars, is now a part of Planet Snoopy; and Dodgem, Cedar Point’s popular bumper cars ride, has a new home near the maXair thrill ride.
- That’s Entertainment! – Several new shows and performances are sure to get your toes tapping and your hands clapping this summer, including “Bandstand USA,” a Blues and Motown revue at the Jack Aldrich Theatre, “Luminosity: Ignite the Night,” the popular nighttime celebration featuring all-new live music, pyrotechnics, dancers, aerialists, musicians and more, and the Toes In The Sand Band, performing at select times on the Cedar Point Beach near Hotel Breakers.
- Who’s Hungry? – A trip to Cedar Point is sure to work up an appetite, and these new options are sure to satisfy even the hungriest of guests! A new Coca-Cola Freestyle location and Freestyle Truck provides thirsty guests the ability to create more than 100 of their own drink combinations. The new Coke Fountain & Floats in Frontiertown is a 20s-themed parlor that features soft-serve and hand-dipped Toft’s Ice Cream while next door in the Chuck Wagon restaurant, guests can enjoy a new menu with built-to-order tacos, burritos and other mouth-watering food options. Park-goers can try a new BeaverTail, a whole-wheat funnel cake that is sure to become a new midway favorite.
The fun kicks off on Friday night with the winners of the first rider auction taking the inaugural rides on Rougarou from 5-7 p.m. Successful bidders who helped raise money for the LeBron James Family Foundation will get the bragging rights for being the first riders on Rougarou along with several other commemorative prizes.
After that, all Cedar Point Season and Platinum Passholders can get a special sneak preview of the park and ride some of their favorite coasters during Cedar Point’s Season Passholder Preview Night from 7-10 p.m.
On Saturday, it’s open to the public and the first 10,000 Rougarou riders will receive a limited-edition “First Rider” pin. For a complete operating schedule, visit cedarpoint.com.