By Edward Cardenas
SOUTHFIELD (CBS Detroit) – The arrival of summer brings warmer weather and a full slate of concerts, sporting events and festivals.READ MORE: Michigan Matters: Fighting for Inclusion, Detroit's Place in Civil Rights History
And in today’s social media world, there is a desire to share experiences from these events immediately with the world.
This can be a challenge depending on the venue, network and even the phone case, states Mark Phillips, Comcast business services sales manager. He stated that with a few tweaks, smart phones can be optimized to maximize their wireless connection
“Knowing what network you are connected to, making sure your resources are free to do what you want to do, you are not using a lot of unnecessary apps, is going to help you a lot have a lot of fun out there this summer,” Phillips said.READ MORE: Karen Carter, and Others Metro Detroiters Chipped In To Help Salvation Army’s Bed and Bread Radiothon
He stated that a growing number of facilities – such as Comerica Park, Ford Field and the Palace of Auburn Hills – are offering free WiFi to customers. This provides a smart phone users possibly a better connection to the Internet than using their data or cellular plan.
There is a downside, as some wireless networks can only have a certain number of users connected at any given time, Phillips stated.
“If you are in a facility, you are sharing a connection with 20,000 of your best friends as you are rocking out with One Direction or Jimmy Buffett,” he said. “That could be a downside too.”
Phillips also recommended smart phone users to power cycle, or turn the device off, to help with WiFi connectivity.MORE NEWS: Granholm Confirmed By Senate To Be Next Energy Secretary
Other tips offered by Phillips to maximize a smart phone’s WiFi connection include:
- In the Settings menu, choose the “avoid weak connections” setting to connect to the strongest signal,
- Use a cell phone case from a reputable manufacture. Try not to get a knock-off case and stay with the brand names,
- Keep the device’s battery charged,
- Don’t let it be exposed to the sun and make sure there air circulation around the device,
- Stay still. Moving around can interfere with connectivity,
- Close unneeded applications which slow down WiFi usage,
- Shutdown unused pages in the web browser.