PENNFIELD TWP. (WWJ/AP) – Health officials in Calhoun County are advising caution after the dangerous giant hogweed plant was spotted in the county.
The Calhoun County Public Health Department said Monday that the plant was found in Pennfield Township, and was removed from the site.READ MORE: Michigan Matters: Impacting Health & Well-Being Across Metro Region
Sap on the plant’s leaves, roots, flower heads, seeds and stem hairs can cause permanent blindness if it gets in a person’s eyes. The sap can also cause blistering and scarring if it gets on bare skin.READ MORE: Detroit Police Department To Host Drive-Up Candy Stations On Oct. 31 At All Precincts
Health officials say to wash skin if it comes in contact with the plant and immediately flush eyes with water, and promptly seek medical attention.
The plant can grow to 18 feet tall, has a green stem with bristles and dark red or purple spots, and has a white flower.MORE NEWS: Metro Detroit Woman Files Lawsuit Against Walmart, Says Discriminated Against By Managers
TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.