DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – Works loaned to the Detroit Institute of Arts by developer A. Alfred Taubman will be among pieces in his collection heading to auction.
Seven paintings from the Baroque period are among the artwork that will be removed from the museum, according to a report in the Detroit News. They include works from the 16th and 17th centuries by Domenico Beccafumi, Valentin de Boulogne, Giovan Battista Caracciolo, Pietro da Cortona, Guercino, Matthias Stom and Hendrick Maertensz Sorgh.
Five of the paintings which are currently displayed in the first European Old Masters gallery in the A. Alfred Taubman Wing will be taken down and removed for sale.
Taubman, who died in April, is most know for developing shopping malls — but he also had a long history of donating to philanthropic causes. He was a Detroit Institute of Arts board member and former chair of Sotheby’s auction house.
Sotheby’s said earlier this week that it would be selling Taubman’s collection in a series of auctions in November and one in January. It said the collection was valued at more than $500 million.
The auction is set to start November 4. Proceeds will go toward settling estate taxes, with the remainder funding the Taubman Foundation.
TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.