CLINTON TOWNSHIP (WWJ) – Shoppers and employees are back inside a Kroger store in Clinton Township after a gas scare caused an evacuation Thursday.
Consumers Energy spokeswoman Debra Dodd said the store, at Canal Road and Garfield, was evacuated when someone reported a smell of gas.READ MORE: Interest In Unionizing Grows Among Michigan Starbucks Workers
The utility was called to investigate.
“We did have an employee that responded, did testing inside and out of the building, found no presence of natural gas,” Dodd said. “She did smell an odor…but, obviously, our instruments did not find anything related to natural gas.”READ MORE: Delta Unveils New Face Recognition Screen That Displays Personalized Flight Information
Dodd said it’s still unclear where the smell may have originated.
“Just to be safe we’re going to test the fuel lines for the store. We’ve got a crew on the way to do that,” Dodd said, Thursday afternoon.MORE NEWS: Highland Park Shooting Suspect Bobby Crimo III Charged With 7 Counts Of First-Degree Murder
There were no illnesses reported a the store in connection with the incident.