MANLIUS TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — State police say an explosion at a rural storage unit in western Michigan was probably linked to an appliance that enhanced the growth of medical marijuana.

Sgt. Scott Leroy tells The Holland Sentinel that the appliance generated carbon dioxide and was powered by propane. He says heat or a spark could have caused the explosion, which injured a man and killed a dog in an adjacent storage unit.

The blast on Dec. 3 occurred in Allegan County’s Manlius Township, 45 miles southwest of Grand Rapids. The explosion was felt for miles.

State police have said the medical marijuana operation appears to have been legal because pot was grown in a locked facility.

 

© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments