DEARBORN (WWJ) – Resolving to lose weight, exercise more, spend less and save more are all great goals. But this year, AAA Michigan is urging motorists to take 2016 in another direction and commit to some important road resolutions that can help impact traffic safety across the state.
As part of AAA’s “Toward Zero Deaths” safe driving campaign, the auto club is asking motorists across Michigan to do their part in keeping the roads safe and make an effort to achieve these 10 Road Resolutions:READ MORE: MDHHS Updates COVID-19 Quarantine Guidance For Michigan Schools
1. Resolve to buckle up. Seat belts and child passenger safety seats help protect passengers of all ages.
2. Resolve to drive safe and sober. Take the pledge to drive drug and alcohol-free. According to 2014 statistics, 40 percent of all the traffic deaths in Michigan were alcohol-related.
3. Resolve to drive distraction-free. Cell phone use, technology, grooming, eating and other distractions are dangerous for safe driving.
4. Resolve to slow down and obey posted speed limits. Excessive speed increases impact and decreases stopping distances.
5. Resolve to move over for emergency vehicles. Responders on the side of the road need space to work safely.READ MORE: More Than 100 Michigan Schools Close Due To Copycat Threats After Oxford High Shooting
6. Resolve to use signals and headlights properly. Safe driving requires being visible to others and letting them know of your driving intentions.
7. Resolve to look out for motorcycles, bicyclists and pedestrians. Fatal crashes involving these groups are increasing dramatically.
8. Resolve to drive with a relaxed, positive attitude. Nothing good comes of road rage. Exercise tolerance.
9. Resolve to be a good role model for the next generation of drivers. Set a good example.
10. Resolve to do your part to help drive Michigan toward zero traffic deaths.MORE NEWS: Parents Of Oxford Shooting Suspect Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter, Authroities Searching For Them