KALAMAZOO (AP) – Officials say the smell of natural gas on the campus of Western Michigan University prompted the evacuation of about 300 students from their dorm rooms.

The Kalamazoo Gazette reports students returned to their rooms around 4:30 a.m. Thursday at Harrison-Stinson halls on the school’s Kalamazoo campus after being evacuated earlier in the morning as a precautionary measure.

READ MORE: Detroit Institute Of Arts' "Inside Out" Program Expands To 4 Oakland County Parks

School spokeswoman Cheryl Roland says gas service to the dorms was turned off and a generator was being used at the building as officials investigated.

READ MORE: Multiple Beaches, Including In Oakland County, Closed Due To Bacteria Levels

WOOD-TV reports Consumers Energy responded and found a small leak on a fuel line leading into the building. No one was injured.

MORE NEWS: Detroit Police Officer, Suspect Killed In Shooting On City's West Side

© Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.