DETROIT (WWJ) – Charges are pending against a 24-year-old Detroit man who drove 80 miles per hour through an east side neighborhood, and then led police on a high-speed chase down I-94.

Michigan State Police say the suspect was spotted around 9 p.m. Wednesday on Waltham Street near Greiner, reaching speeds of approximately 80 mph in a 25 mph residential zone.

READ MORE: What Is The Best Sunscreen For Me? Environmental Working Group Releases Annual Guide

When the suspect turned west on 7 Mile Road, troopers attempted to conduct a traffic stop but the driver continued to flee. Detroit police officers were called in to assist as the suspect entered westbound I-94 from Connor.

Police say the suspect reached speeds over 90 mph, was swerving between the slower moving traffic, and nearly lost control at one point, striking another slower moving vehicle on I-94. The suspect exited and re-entered the freeway in attempt to flee troopers before exiting at Mt. Elliott, according to police.

When the suspect re-entered the eastbound lanes of I-94 going in the opposite direction, troopers discontinued the pursuit. However, the suspect was still being followed by freeway video cameras in the MSP Detroit Regional Dispatch Center.

Troopers were eventually able to catch up to the suspect on Chene Avenue where they performed a Precision Immobilization Technique, causing the suspect’s vehicle to run off the road through a vacant lot and skid into a fence.

READ MORE: Parole Denied For Don Miller Who Killed 4 Women In Lansing In The 1970s

Police say the suspect then exited the vehicle and ran to the east within the fenced lot. Troopers ran after the suspect on foot until the man tripped over his pants and fell to the ground. Troopers then struggled with the suspect until a Taser was deployed in order to take him into custody.

Further investigation revealed that the suspect had two warrants for his arrest including a probation violation, according to police. It was also determined that the vehicle was stolen during a strong armed robbery of the man’s former girlfriend.

The suspect was processed and lodged at the Detroit Detention Center pending review by Wayne County prosecutors. His name has not yet been released.

During the incident, an officer received a minor injury when his squad car crashed into an unrelated vehicle. The officer was treated and released for non-life threatening injuries. There were no injuries to the public.

MORE NEWS: Michigan Court Seeks More From Whitmer About Abortion Ban Challenge