(AP) – A shocking upset in college basketball — for the first time since 1993, Seton Hall is Big East tournament champion.
The unranked Pirates stunned third-ranked Villanova 69-67 behind 26 points from Isaiah Whitehead. The third-seeded Pirates earned the Big East’s automatic bid into the NCAA tourney. It’s the first time in 10 years Seton Hall is going to the NCAA tourney.READ MORE: Safety Is Top Priority As Parents, Students Prepare For Upcoming School Year
In other conference tournament action:
– Top-ranked Kansas rolls into the NCAA tournament on a 14-game winning streak. The Jayhawks beat ninth-ranked West Virginia 81-71 for their 10th Big 12 title. Devonte (deh-VAHN’-tay) Graham led the Jayhawks with a career-high 27. Wayne Selden Jr. added 21. West Virginia’s Devin Williams led all scorers with 31 points and 10 rebounds.
– Texas A&M and Kentucky will battle it out for the Southeastern Conference championship on Sunday. The 17th-ranked Aggies rolled over LSU 71-38 as Tonny Trocha-Morales scored 13 points. Before the game A&M announced a new five-year deal with coach Billy Kennedy.
In the second semifinal Jamal Murray had 26 points and Tyler Ulis added 25 as the 16th-ranked Wildcats beat Georgia 93-80.
– In Sunday’s Big Ten title game Purdue, the 13th-ranked team in the AP poll, is going to face second-ranked Michigan State. The Boilermakers got 27 points and 11 rebounds from A.J. Hammons in their 76-59 win over Michigan. In the Spartans’ 64-61 win over 18th-ranked Maryland Denzel Valentine had 18 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds.
No. 4 Virginia looks to stake a claim to the ACC Tournament title when it takes on seventh-ranked North Carolina, which is also eyeing a top seed. The Tar Heels are in the final for the fifth time in the past six years. They have gone 0-4 in that span. It’s a nail-biter with North Carolina holding a 46-44 lead midway through the second half.READ MORE: Donations Needed For Landfill Search To Find Zion Foster
– The winner of the Conference U.S.A. tournament is Middle Tennessee. The Blue Raiders are headed to the NCAA Tournament after a 55-53 win over Old Dominion.
– Marvelle Harris scored 18 points to lead Fresno State to a 68-63 victory over San Diego State to win the Mountain West Tournament title and earn its first NCAA berth since 2001.
– Hampton wins the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference title by beating South Carolina State 81-69. Brian Darden led the Pirates with 22.
– Fresno State is Mountain West champion after beating San Diego State 68-63. It’s Fresno’s first tourney appearance since 2001.
– Buffalo is in the NCAA tourney for the second straight year. The Bulls posted a 64-61 win over Akron in the title game on Blake Hamilton’s 3-pointer with 2 seconds left.
– And Vermont is going to the NCAAs after beating New Hampshire 63-56 to win the America East.
MORE NEWS: Businesses Make Changes To Keep Customers Safe Amid Boil Water Advisory In SE Michigan
© Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.