SOUTHGATE (WWJ) – A mother was just trying to treat her daughter to a meal at Wendy’s, but the 3-year-old girl wound up in the hospital after apparently eating a hamburger that was tainted with shards of glass.

The incident happened at the Wendy’s restaurant on North Line Road near Allen Road in Southgate. The pair was dining at the restaurant following a visit to the dentist, according to WXYZ-TV.

READ MORE: Michigan Matters: From Mackinac to Motor Bella, Major Events Return

The mother, who did not reveal her full name, told reporters she knew something was wrong as soon as her daughter bit into a hamburger.

“She started to crunch this super loud crunch that was not normal,” she told the TV station. “I was telling her, ‘Don’t swallow, don’t swallow!'”

The mother, who is pregnant, rushed to her daughter’s side and opened her mouth.

READ MORE: Rolling Stone Magazine Named ‘Respect’ #1 Song Of All Time

“I was pulling food out and blood out and I saw that I had particles of glass on my fingers,” she said.

The mother called police and rushed her daughter to the hospital, where she was treated for a cut to the mouth and then released.

According to a police report that was obtained by the TV station, the manager told officers that glass was broken in the back room where food is prepared. Starboard Group, which owns the restaurant, later told the station that a light bulb may have broken during maintenance activity in the restaurant.

MORE NEWS: Fourth Stimulus Check: Will You See Another Relief Payment Soon?

Officials at Wendy’s say they are aware of the incident and are taking the matter very seriously.