DETROIT (WWJ) – A 12-year-old girl has died after being electrocuted on Detroit’s west side.

Police say the girl — identified by relatives as K’Brianna Griffin — was playing with friends at a home on St. Mary’s, near Glendale, around 8 p.m. Wednesday.

The kids ended up in the backyard of the house where the girl came across, what police say, was a down or low-hanging wire.

Griffin was electrocuted and pronounced dead.

DTE Energy was made aware of the incident — but said in a statement their investigation has revealed that the wire in question is the City’s Public Lighting Department equipment.

“We are working with the city and other agencies as they investigate this unfortunate event,” the statement said. “The electrical line was part of the city’s electrical system. We will continue to work with the city to fully understand the circumstances.”

It’s unclear if weather was to blame for the downed power line. An investigation continues.


Leave a Reply