DETROIT (AP) – The fight over selfies at Michigan voting booths appears to be over for now.
A federal appeals court said Thursday it won’t revisit the decision of one of its three-judge panels.READ MORE: The Detroit Demolition Department Awarding Contracts To Detroit-Based Black Owned Businesses
A federal judge in Grand Rapids had signed an injunction suspending Michigan’s ban on ballot photos. But in a 2-1 decision, the order was set aside by the appeals court last week.
The challenge to Michigan’s ban isn’t dead. But the lawsuit by Joel Crookston won’t be fully litigated until after the election.READ MORE: Fund Pays Back Tax Debt Of 1,600 Detroit Homeowners
Crookston argues that the ban on photos violates the First Amendment. The state says voters are free to declare their political preferences to the world — if they do it away from a polling place.
The state says it’s trying to avoid “chaos.”MORE NEWS: Detroit Man Charged In Connection With Son's Fatal Shooting
© Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.