MANISTIQUE, Mich. (AP) — A state conservation officer in the Upper Peninsula is getting the reputation of a hero.

The Department of Natural Resources says Mike Evink saved a propane delivery man who was overcome by carbon monoxide Wednesday at a home in Schoolcraft County. He got the garage door open, which allowed the man to get fresh air.

READ MORE: Michigan Matters: Fighting for Inclusion, Detroit's Place in Civil Rights History

The man was barely alive at the time but survived. The homeowner died.

A few days earlier, the DNR says Evink helped two stranded snowmobilers whose sleds broke down off a trail in deep snow. Evink and a U.S. Forest Service officer followed snowmobile tracks and footprints. The temperature was around zero, and winds were reaching 30 mph.

READ MORE: Karen Carter, and Others Metro Detroiters Chipped In To Help Salvation Army’s Bed and Bread Radiothon

Lt. Pete Wright says Evink is a “great example” of a well-trained conservation officer.

 

MORE NEWS: Granholm Confirmed By Senate To Be Next Energy Secretary

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.