DETROIT (WWJ) – The caption says simply: “This happened in Downtown Detroit last night.”

And then starts a video that shows about 25-40 men punching, kicking and brutally beating people on the streets of Greektown, one of Detroit’s most popular hotspots. In the video, one man is lying with his head over the curb appearing unconscious and very badly injured. He gets punched and kicked as the cell-phone filming crowd of young men shouts and laughs.

(Click: Watch on Facebook)

Quickly becoming known as the Greektown brawl — the Saturday night fight was caught on video that was posted to Facebook.

By the time the police in Detroit were alerted to what was happening it was already over, they said. Police Chief James Craig said the department is vigorously working to uncover who was involved in the “troubling” incident.

Eight perpetrators have been identified, he said. They had all parked at Greektown casino, one in a rental car.

“Our message is ‘We know who you are, we are going to get you and arrest you so do yourself a favor and turn yourself in,” Craig said during a Monday morning presser. “In a matter of hours, we will have your identification.”

The family of the man seen with his head on the curb told myfoxdetroit.com he was at the casino celebrating his birthday when he was attacked. He is recovering from a skull fracture and other injuries, they said.

It’s unknown what caused the melee or if the young men knew each other or if one group was randomly attacking strangers. “They left that young man for dead, this is a serious situation and we’re not taking it lightly,” Craig said, adding the incident might be gang-related.

This follows a stabbing incident in Detroit’s Rouge Park, where people posted video on Facebook but no one called police. Both incidents disturbed Craig especially for the fact people watched — and celebrated — without calling police.

“At a minimum, you call the police … If you can’t do that because you’re too busy doing Facebook live, maybe going forward we should look into charging people who spectate,” Craig said.

He later added: “As a society, what have we become?”

If anyone recognizes anyone in the video or has any information pertaining to this crime please call the Detroit Police Department at 313-596-1616, 313-596-1855, 313-596-2260 or CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-800-SPEAK-UP. Citizens can remain anonymous, as always by leaving a tip on our app, DPD Connect.

Comments (176)
      1. Steve Hollar says:

Why? Really? You have to ask, snowflake?

1. Same reason I do, I am sure. With a wife and two young daughters, I would be a fool not to…

2. David Koob says:

Damn those white, Christian males. And you know fake media is going to blame this on minorities.

1. “….the Saturday night fight…”

That was not a fight. That was a vicious assault. A violent ambush. Despite what the biased agenda driven media wants us to believe.

“about 25-40 men”…”crowd of young men”…”All those people”…”the suspects”…”the young men”

Another classic examples of the PC media propagandists attempting to condition their readers to ignore the obvious.

Political Correctness is killing us. All cultures are not the same.

“The most insidious power the media has, is the power to ignore.” (Chris Plante, WMAL)

But it isn’t like we didn’t know:

“Our job is to give people not what they want, but what we decide they ought to have.” -Richard Salant, former president of CBS News

“We are going to impose our agenda on the coverage, by dealing with issues and subjects that we choose to deal with.” – Richard Cohen, Senior Producer, CBS Political News

2. You can’t view the video now and there aren’t any pictures; but I don’t think we even need pictures or accurate reporting to know who did this.

1. Sonja Yagel says:

They seem to be sub-culture race with no civilized social skills. When children are not raised properly and taught discipline and society graces, this is what you get. Until the welfare broodmares quit producing for a check we will see this with each generation

3. Don’t even have to see the pictures. Blacks, blacks, and more blacks. Gun in my car, gun in my belt, gun in my house. “These people” are going to choose poorly, as they do and it will go badly.

4. Just some “tourists” from the south side of Chiraq.

5. Mike Gieser says:

Is it too late to repoison the water?

6. John Zellie says:

Simply colored people acting like colored people.

7. Dear President Trump, one Motha%&&# of All Bombs right over this area.

Thank Kew!!!!!! and Good Night

8. I was shooting on my land the other day and ran out of targets.Damn

9. What happened to the video? Liberal reporting at its finest. If it don’t fit their agenda…bury it.

10. There is no need to identify the race of the gangs in Detroit who prey on others or to have identified the race of those being shot and killed or wounded in nightclubs in Cincinnati or Columbus. Later when you read the names, you know for sure. I wonder when it will be that leaders in these communities and others, will have had enough? My guess is never.

11. Why no description of the perpetrators? Are all of the media now a bunch of spineless cowards?

12. Sharp Shtik says:

Democrats commit nearly all crime because of the type of people they are – hateful, disrespectful, irrational, selfish, etc. like terrible children.

13. Indrid Cold says:

This doesn’t make any sense: young black males being violent and stupid? How is this possible?

14. Jim Bob says:

NONE of this happened before Barrack Hussein.

15. Police Chief James Craig asked: “As a society, what have we become?”

I hate to point this out Chief Craig, but this wasn’t done by a “society”. This was done by a bunch of animalistic blacks acting with a pack mentality……..AGAIN!!!
    But as usual your local CBS news carrier has deleted the video because it isn’t “PC” to actually allow people to see it. However you may rest assured that the video is still out there and that people will see the truth!

16. Jack Gil says:

Let me guess…liberal storm troopers were beating innocent Trump supporters again (I was going with the odds here).

17. THANKS OBAMA…Yes you do have a legacy.

1. Dat whack…. Bama don’ dribe no Subroo!!

18. Be on the lookout for 25-40 men.

19. Doug Evan says:

If they find cellphone footage of the carnage on your phone and you didn’t call the cops you should be charged as an accessory!

20. Pat Gwynn says:

Muslims trying to impose Sharia? Gambling, fornication, unaccompanied women, etc. all violations of Sharia Law!

21. It happened in Greektown so it must have been Greeks.

22. Jim Love says:

Four simple words: Mother of All Bombs

23. if Obama had a gang of 10 to 20 some odd young sons…

24. Yet another N166er uprising. The lame stream media needs to tell the truth. In the olden days they would hang a few of them from trees AND leave them hanging to warn others. ( of course I do not condone or approve of the actions of yester year).

25. Oh oh…. let me guess who was involved…. Asians? Ha ha! I crack myself up!!

26. Stephen Tobe says:

Yep! It was the local Urban pavement Apes.

27. Hanson Smith says:

Completely without fear of contradiction I will state that this violence was perpetrated by black men, or as CBS would like us to believe…”mischievous youths”. Were this a group of white men attacking blacks it would be a banner headline on CBS for weeks, but instead by being vague with their descriptions of the identities of the assailants CBS assumes that most people would actually consider that the violent gang could indeed be white….which it never is. CBS – and the rest of the leftist MSM thinks all their readership/viewership are fools – and sadly most them are. But not all.

28. John Lefever says:

Just another example of a liberal run city, no shock here. My only hope is that liberals don’t run to our towns and cities and infest us.

29. could someone explain to me again, how we are all equal?

30. Fred Flint says:

Hey Nancy Pelosi, Democrats in general and all “gun control” proponents:
    This is why I want to have my own AR-15.
    Thank you.

31. BTW, how many of you still think we can all live together, in peace?

32. Fred Flint says:

“Police Chief James Craig said the department is vigorously working to uncover who was involved in the “troubling” incident”
    Free Police Tip: I think it was the black males in the video. (Does that make me a “snitch?)

33. Brad Wilson says:

We should have picked our own damn cotton!

34. Philip Nolan says:

Imagine my surprise when the video showed all black men. Who would have imagined such a thing?

35. Black hate crimes covered up by the lying news media.

36. Rudy Gold says:

Those darn Amish kids from PA.

37. Alan Culp says:

Unbelievable all the hateful racists comments on here. Innocent people were badly hurt here. Some have the nerve to call people animals all the while talking about lynching and bombing people. I’ll bet these same people call themselves good Christians. SMH

38. They can leave the jungle, but the jungle still runs in their low IQ brains!

39. First time I was mugged in Detroit, I was nine years old. Next, it was armed robbery and kidnapping. Could have been the same “youth”, they would not have recognized me, we all “look alike”….. “Hate” crimes? Didn’t exist. Dad “carried” legally to go to work, Detroit riots, 1967… Got my first “concealed” license in Michigan. Wife and two young daughters now. Since Detroit, have had license in several States, several countries… Two things I “never leave home without”, one is my American Express Platinum….

40. Terry Odette says:

why is always the same people doing this.

41. Steve Hollar says:

What do you want to bet it was a pack of wild chimpanzees?

42. I’m guessing we don’t really have to see the video to know how this looks, do we? It’s the dreaded white christian male conservatives, amirite?