LARGO, Fla. (AP) – Officials at a Florida animal shelter are warning pet owners not to use human hair dye on pets after spending months caring for a small dog that was dyed purple by her former owner and then abandoned.

Pinellas County Animal Services posted the story of Violent, a white Maltese mix, earlier this week.

Officials say when Violent first arrived after being found as a stray, her eyes were swollen shut, and she had obvious skin burns. Once they started to clean and shave her, skin began to slough off.

After three months of antibiotics and painkillers, Violent was ready for a new home. She was adopted by David Anderson, a St. Petersburg dog groomer.

Officials also warn that animals can also be poisoned by trying to lick off the dye.

© Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s