HIGHLAND PARK, Mich. (WWJ) – A firefighter battling a Highland Park apartment fire was taken to a local hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation Saturday, according to Highland Park Fire Department press secretary Marli Blackman.
The firefighter did not suffer any serious injuries, according to Blackman.
The fire at the Bishop Moore Apartments on Manchester Parkway, between Woodward and Second avenues, displaced 100-130 residents, many of whom are seniors. They were bused to the Highland Park Recreation Center on Second Avenue.
The fire broke out around 8:30 p.m. and is now is out, but crews are still on the scene and are expected to turn the complex over to building management.
The fire did not take long to put out because it was contained to one apartment, but it took a while to search and get everyone out, according to the fire department.