LANSING, MICH. (CBS DETROIT) – Secretary of State branch offices will reopen in Michigan Monday, June 1 by appointment only.
The branch offices will be open for essential transactions not available online.
Beginning June 1, all 131 branch offices in Michigan will be open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for appointment only services for transactions including:
- Driver licenses and state ID transactions that must be done in person
- Title transfers
- Operator, CDL, chauffeur, mechanic and motorcycle testing
- Seasonal commercial vehicle-renewal
Branch staff will follow strict health and safety protocols, including wearing masks, standing six feet apart, using desk shields, and continuously disinfecting shared or common surfaces. Branch doors will be locked, and each branch will have a greeter to let customers with appointments in at scheduled appointment times. A copy of the department’s reopening preparedness plan can be found here.
Anyone scheduling an appointment or receiving an appointment reminder will also be instructed on how to safely attend their appointment by:
- Arriving at the appointment alone
- Wearing a mask or homemade face covering over their mouth and nose
- Waiting in their vehicle or outside prior to the appointment time and maintaining six feet of distance when announcing themselves and their appointment to staff at the doors
- Following directions on where to stand during the transaction — only stepping forward toward the clerk when providing or retrieving documents
- Cancelling their appointment if they develop symptoms of COVID-19 or come into contact with someone who has COVID-19 within 14 days of the appointment
- Adhering to CDC guidelines when in public
In addition to preparing to reopen branches, the Michigan Department of State began sending updated renewal forms this week, color coded based on the type of transaction needed and with streamlined information to explain how best to conduct the transaction. Renewal forms, which will be mailed in redesigned envelopes measuring 9.5 inches by 6 inches, come in six colors:
- Red: Vehicle registration
- Blue: Driver’s license
- Green: State identification card
- Teal: Watercraft
- Gray: Snowmobile
- Purple: Special plate
Instructions are provided at the bottom of each form to direct customers on options for renewing their credential, providing information on whether they can complete their transaction online, at a self-service station or by mail, or if they will need to schedule an appointment at a branch office.