(CBS DETROIT) – Detroit is extending its outdoor dining program, Open Detroit, to help restaurants impacted by the new Covid-19 dining restrictions.
The program begins Dec. 1 and will run through April 1, 2021. Applications for the winter program are now open and can be submitted here.READ MORE: Michigan Reports 1,992 New COVID-19 Cases, 99 Deaths Tuesday
Open Detroit will allow for for sidewalks, street parking and private parking lots to be temporarily converted for uses such as seating, which will expand outdoor dining areas and retail space.
The city has also designated a select number of Café & Retail Zones where the city will close selected portions of an entire street. These zones provide the maximum space to serve businesses in a concentrated area and will be installed 24 hours per day, 7 days per week for the duration of the program.
Social distancing requirements as well as ADA clearances must be followed.
Enclosed outdoor seating is permissible under the following guidelines:
- Tents can only have one single side of the tent down. Tents with more than one side down are not allowed.
- “Igloo” style seating is allowed but must only sit one household at a time. A household is defined as a group of persons living together in a shared dwelling with common kitchen or bathroom facilities.
Permits currently for the summer outdoor dining program are set to expire on Nov. 30, 2020.
All restaurants looking to apply for the winter program must apply online, including current summer permit holders.READ MORE: 12 Mile Road To Close At Gratiot Avenue In Roseville For Traffic Signal Work
The city says due to the unique circumstances winter weather brings, there will be additional precautions and planning that must occur before the winter operations can be launched.
Business looking to participate in the winter program will need to have the following ready when applying:
- If a heating apparatus is going to be used, the specifications of that apparatus must be submitted at time of application.
- This submittal shall also include the number of units and location of units.
- If a tent is proposed to be used, the manufacturer specifications, sizing and weighting must be supplied at time of applications.
- A floor plan for seating must be provided at time of application for any partially or fully enclosed seating areas outside of the building
- The review period for winter applications is up to 8 days for approvals.
- Once applicant has received official approval in the form of an Open Detroit- Winter Edition permit, applicant can then begin to assemble space.
MORE FROM CBS DETROIT: Whitmer Says She Has Authority To Order New Stay-Home Order in Michigan
MORE FROM CBS DETROIT: Stimulus Package Update: What Will A Biden Administration Mean For More Aid?MORE NEWS: Police Seek Suspect Wanted In Fatal Hit-And-Run On Detroit's West Side
© 2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.