By Bria Brown

NEWAYGO, Mich. (AP) — A student lit a firework inside a western Michigan classroom Monday, injuring himself through a “serious lack of judgment,” an official said.

No other injuries were reported at Newaygo High School. Details about the student’s injury were not immediately disclosed.

READ MORE: Michigan Matters: Impacting Health & Well-Being Across Metro Region

“This was not somebody planting an explosive device in order to hurt our students,” Superintendent Peg Mathis said on Facebook.

READ MORE: Detroit Police Department To Host Drive-Up Candy Stations On Oct. 31 At All Precincts

Students were sent home because of the odor and smoke.

“A high school student brought some type of firework device to school,” Mathis said. “He lit it in a classroom which caused an explosion. It has been reported that this was not an attack or designed to be something malicious, but a serious lack of judgment.”

MORE NEWS: Metro Detroit Woman Files Lawsuit Against Walmart, Says Discriminated Against By Managers

© 2021 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.