PONTIAC, Mich. (AP) — A 75-year-old Pontiac man was burned over more than 80% of his body after a fire started in his apartment.
Firefighters were called to an apartment building late Sunday night on a report of a man burning, the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office said Monday.READ MORE: COVID-19 Vaccines Saved Nearly 20 Million Lives In First Year, Study Says
A neighbor told investigators that she heard the man yelling “fire” and tried to put the flames out with a blanket and a fire extinguisher. Firefighters arrived and put out the flames.READ MORE: Michigan Ballot Initiative Aims To Protect Abortion Rights
The man’s daughter said she was speaking with him on the phone when his oxygen tank fell over in the apartment where he had several candles burning.
He suffered second-degree burns and was listed Sunday in critical condition at a hospital.MORE NEWS: AG Nessel Says Abortions Are Still Legal In Michigan
© 2021 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.