The CBS 62/CW50 Detroit internship program is designed for students currently enrolled at a college or university who are interested in the media business. The objective is to provide students (undergraduate and graduate) with meaningful work experience while complimenting the educational experience
Benefits of an internship for students include
- Practical work experience
- A better understanding of the business
- Promote career and personal development
- Exposure to industry professionals
Method of Application:
Note: Applications will only be accepted from college students currently enrolled at a college or university.
Resume and cover letter accepted only through our online application system. To apply, please click here.
If selected for an interview, you will need to provide the following:
- Complete the online CBS Internship Application
- Two letters of recommendation
- Writing sample
Internships are paid at the current hourly minimum wage rate. If accepted into our program, you will need to present on your first day:
- Letter from the Internship Advisor or Professor of the program at the College or University is attended, which indicates certification of college academic credit to be awarded upon successful completion of the internship.
Internships are offered: (Dates may vary)
- Winter/Spring: January to mid-May
- Summer: mid-May to August
- Fall: September to mid-December
Exact days and dates are determined by the student’s schedule; However, the student must commit to the minimum hours’ requirement of 20 hrs per week. The duration of the internship will be determined by the requirements of the college/university (not to exceed 340 hours) to earn college credit. If the college/university requires more than 340 hours in order to earn college credit, this internship would not be an option.
The following department is currently offering an internship:
Our internship provides student interns the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the areas of Digital Media and Creative Services, as well as in other departments where there is an interest. Activities Interns may be involved in include the following:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Research, assist and write news content for CBSDetroit.com and CW50Detroit.com
- Aid in promoting content on Social Media Platforms
- Engage with viewers online
- Learn basic SEO techniques and best practices
- Research story content for websites
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Must be at least (18) eighteen years of age.
- Online resume and cover letter required.
- Currently attending an accredited college and have achieved junior or senior status.
- Students must be in satisfactory academic standing. Verification letter from college/university required. Academic credit not required but will be given preference.
- Excellent writing skills (and copy-editing skills) a must.
- Able to meet the minimum time commitment for the internship program (20 hours/week for a minimum of 10 – 13 weeks)
- Good computer skills, excellent written skills, and verbal communication abilities.
- MS office suite proficiency.
- Eye for good local and viral content.
- Experience with WordPress & Adobe Photoshop preferred.
- Experience shooting and editing photos/videos – knowledge of Final Cut Pro &/or Adobe Premier is a plus.
Qualified candidates, please apply (include a cover letter with resume) to the CBS Television Stations online Applicant Tracking System.
This is the only method in which applications will be accepted for open positions.
NO PHONE CALLS or EMAILS PLEASE. Only qualified candidates considered for this position will be contacted for an interview. We regret that we cannot accept phone calls or respond to individual inquiries. CBS Detroit Television Stations is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the continuing policy of CBS to afford equal employment opportunity to qualified individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or physical or mental disability, veteran’s status, marital status, or height or weight and to conform to applicable federal and state laws and regulations.