Check out our guide to Opening Day Block Party! Everything you need to know to have a great experience on one of the most important days in Detroit. Get yourself a hotdog and a beverage and enjoy the game!
Where: Grand Circus Park (one block east of the southwest corner of Comerica)
When: April 5, 2012, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. The Tigers Home Opener is Friday, April 8 at 3:05 p.m. vs. Kansas City Royals.
Whether you’re a seasoned veteran or a complete newbie, there’s something for everyone at the block party!
- Music from 98.7 AMP Radio kicks off the day at 10 a.m.
- Matt Stillwell will perform live on the music stage before the game
Coming & Going
Traffic / Construction
According to MDOT there are no planned lane closures around the park on the day of the block party, but before heading out the door tune in to First Forecast Mornings from 5-7 a.m. on WWJ-TV. Get your traffic and weather report quickly. On your drive in listen for Traffic and Weather on the 8’s on WWJ Newsradio 950. If you plan to drive downtown be prepared for more traffic than a normal game since there are plenty of people downtown in addition to all the Tigers ticket holders.
Taking A Bus: Consider parking at a local shopping center and taking the bus to the park. Grand Circus park is a hop, skip and a jump away from the southwest corner of Comerica.
Parking ranges from $5 to $25 depending on how far you want to walk to the park. The best thing to do is to plan ahead for where you’re going to park and have a couple options in mind.
Here’s a great map courtesy of the Tigers website. Click to enlarge.
Grand Circus Park Map including games, entertainment, concession stands, radio and TV booths and more!
Brew And View Tent
Hang out in the Brew And View Tent. Enjoy a cold beverage and watch the game on a giant screen.
- 97.1 The Ticket’s Morning Show Stoney, Bill McAllister, Sara and Tony Ortiz, Hockeytown Cafe, 5:30 a.m. – 10 a.m. (doors open at 9 a.m.)
- 97.1 The Ticket’s Doug Karsch and Scott “The Gator” Anderson, Gate A, Comerica Park, 10 a.m. – 12:40 p.m.
- 98.7 AMP Radio’s Grooves, The D Shop at Comerica Park, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- 99.5 WYCD’s Jack Shell, Grand Circus Park, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- 97.1 The Ticket’s Mike Valenti and Terry Foster, Grand Circus Park, following the game
- 104.3 WOMC’s Beau Daniels, Grand Circus Park, from 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- 99.5 WYCD’s Edwards & Lee, Hockeytown Cafe, 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Stop by and also meet Talk Radio 1270 WXYT’s Morning Show Host Charlie Langton and Weekend Host Jackie Paige as well as CBS 62′s First Forecast Morning’s Syma Chowdhry, Randy Bhirdo, Jill Washburn and First Forecast Chief Meterologist Jim Madaus.
We’ve got you covered. At Grand Circus Park we will have many concession stands stocked with ballpark favorites.
Know Before You Go
Weather: Check out the forecast on the morning of, because we all know how the weather in Michigan can turn on a dime. The temps will likely only reach the low 50’s so dress in layers!
The event is open to the public thanks to our sponsors.