The Peacock Room
15 E. Kirby St.
Detroit, MI 48202
www.facebook.com/peacockroomRachel Lutz is the owner of Detroit’s most stylish apparel and accessory boutique, The Peacock Room.
Her unique fashion sense has downtown buzzing about what’s inside. The Peacock Room carries a wide range of designer clothing and accessories, including both vintage and high-end labels. Ms. Lutz also owns Emerald, a boutique which specializes in vintage-inspired gifts and home decor. We received expert fashion advice from Ms. Lutz, who shared her top tips for looking stylish this spring.
- I’m seeing more and more vintage influence in fashion. Vintage never goes out of style but I’ve definitely noticed a lot of older looks made new on the spring runways. Everything 1950s or earlier is hot, with an emphasis placed on the 1940s. The turn-of-the-century accessories are really getting hot, and the Steampunk look is becoming a bit more mainstream.
- The key to dressing for spring, as always, is in layering. Eager to wear that new sleeveless dress or a thinner fabric from last year? As the weather changes, you can layer cardigans and blazers over your spring pieces to fluctuate with Michigan weather.
Deidra M. Hogue
Deidra M. Hogue writes about fashion here. She is the stylist behind Madame Beaucoup. In addition, she is available for editorial and fashion show styling, photo shoots, personal shopping services and guest blogging.
Ms. Hogue took some time to share her tips for dressing with style for spring of 2013.
- Pairing delicate pieces – such as lace or sequins – with denim or leather, will take you from “classic and safe” to a “fashion trendsetter.”
- Wearing a unique accessory will update your wardrobe for the spring – try a fedora, pageboy or wide brim. The current must-have is a Burberry pageboy cap.
- A must-have piece on her radar for spring of 2013 is the high gloss leather skater skirt. Experiment with mixed materials to create a hot look.