The Oakland County Competitive Robotics Association Wall Ball Fall County Championship Competition was held Saturday, Nov. 20 at Holly High School. OCCRA’s 20 teams, representing 23 high schools and one Oakland Schools Technical Campus, played their final Wall Ball Fall Up & Over game of the season.
OCCRA robots place 10-inch playground balls onto the opponents’ playing field. Teams also score points by allowing their robots to hang from steel bars on the game field. The tournament structure randomly pairs robots from two different schools in an “alliance” against two robots from an opposing alliance.
Teams from Birmingham Seaholm and Groves, Brandon, Brother Rice and Marian High Schools, Clawson, Detroit Catholic Central, North Farmington, Holly, International Academy, Lamphere, Notre Dame Prep, Oakland Schools Technical Campus Northeast, Orchard Lake St. Mary’s Prep, Pontiac, Rochester Adams/Stoney Creek, Roeper School, Royal Oak, South Lyon, University High School Academy of Southfield, Walled Lake Northern, and Waterford Kettering competed in the championship tournament. Awards were presented to:
* 2010 Champions: Team #245 Rochester Adams/Stoney Creek High Schools and Team #255 Lamphere High School
* 2010 Finalists: Team #33 Notre Dame Prep and Team #2960 Birmingham Seaholm/Groves High Schools
* 2010 Semi-Finalists: Team #51 Pontiac High School and Team #43 Holly High School; Team #9 Orchard Lake St. Mary’s Prep and Team #1 Oakland Schools Technical Campus Northeast
* 2010 Top Seed Award: Team #51 Pontiac High School
* Beautiful Bot Award: Team #43 Holly High School
* Spirit of the Competition Award: Team #51 Pontiac High School
* Technical Excellence Award: Team #33 Notre Dame Prep
* Strategic Design Award: Team #245 Rochester Adams/Stoney Creek High Schools
* Quality Award: Team # 573 Brother Rice/Marian High Schools
* Simple Solutions Award: Team #255 Lamphere High School
* Most Improved Award: Team #203 Catholic Central High School
* Judge’s Awards: Team #469 International Academy and Team #2 Roeper Upper School
* VEX Award: Team #9 Orchard Lake St. Mary’s Prep
This is a full contact robotics competition, where students control their 120 pound creations as they clash on the court of play. OCCRA robots play rough and some damage will surely occur but, unlike “Battlebots,” the rules prohibit teams from intentionally damaging another machine. In addition to the large robots, teams also use smaller VEX robots for part of the game.
Competitive robotics generates enthusiasm for technical and academic disciplines such as design, engineering, physics, and electronics. The high-energy OCCRA competitions provide recognition and encouragement for students who are devoting their time and energy to this academic activity. Furthermore, OCCRA participants have the opportunity to learn more about the diverse technical career options available in our county and state.
OCCRA is administered by Oakland Schools and supported by the Oakland Schools Education Foundation. This assistance is made possible through the generosity and support of area businesses and individuals. Current corporate sponsors include: DTE Energy Foundation, Chrysler, Delphi Automotive Systems, Denso International America Inc., General Motors Powertrain, and SMC Pneumatics.
For more information on OCCRA, please contact Terri Kroll, OCCRA Coordinator, Oakland Schools at (248) 209-2432. You can also get more information on OCCRA by visiting www.oakland.k12.mi.us/Default.aspx?tabid=535.
(c) 2010, WWJ Newsradio 950. All rights reserved.