KALAMAZOO (WWJ/AP) – Authorities say a 38-year-old woman was critically injured with extensive burns after leaning over a firework she lit in southwestern Michigan.
Kalamazoo police say the woman was setting off fireworks late Wednesday at her home with her husband. She was hospitalized with second- and third-degree burns to her face, hands, arms and torso, and is currently listed in critical condition.READ MORE: Michigan Matters: Fighting for Inclusion, Detroit's Place in Civil Rights History
Lt. Stan McDonald told MLive.com investigators believe the firework involved is among the more powerful kind recently made legal in Michigan following a change in state law. It was one that shoots into the air and makes noise.
McDonald also said alcohol is believed to have contributed to the cause of the accident. No one else was injured.
It is the first injury of this magnitude of the season, McDonald said.READ MORE: Karen Carter, and Others Metro Detroiters Chipped In To Help Salvation Army’s Bed and Bread Radiothon
Bottle rockets, aerial cakes, Roman candles, firecrackers all can be sold and enjoyed legally after lawmakers and Gov. Rick Snyder erased the ban.
The accident is under investigation.
Authorities are urging caution when using fireworks to avoid injuries. For safety tips, visit www.fireworksafety.com.MORE NEWS: Granholm Confirmed By Senate To Be Next Energy Secretary
TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.