DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – The family of a Detroit mosque leader has filed a lawsuit against FBI agents, saying his rights were violated when he was gunned down during a raid.
Luqman Abdullah was killed when agents tried to arrest him at a Dearborn warehouse in 2009. He and his allies were accused of dealing stolen goods in an FBI sting operation.READ MORE: Southbound I-275 To I-94 Closing For A Month Starting July 11
A lawsuit filed Friday in federal court accuses the FBI of using excessive force in Abdullah’s death. He was shot 20 times. The FBI has defended what happened, saying Abdullah was armed and resisted arrest.
The Michigan attorney general said the shooting was justified. The U.S. Justice Department’s civil rights division also found no wrongdoing.READ MORE: Ford CEO Jim Farley Interviews Tom Brady In Spotify Podcast Series Finale
Lawsuits in this case were filed previously against other agencies including the Detroit police, Dearborn police and the Michigan Attorney General’s office.
The FBI declined to comment on this latest lawsuit Tuesday.
The FBI said Abdullah was a leader of a radical Sunni group that wants to create an Islamic state within the U.S. His family has denied allegations that he was anti-government. He was married and had 10 children.MORE NEWS: Detroit Announces City's First Income-Based Water Affordability Plan
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)