LANSING (WWJ) – Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette says his office will prosecute the man suspected in a shooting spree that targeted motorists in four counties last month.
Schuette announced Tuesday that his office’s Criminal Division will lead the prosecution of 43-year-old Raulie Casteel, of Wixom, for crimes he allegedly committed in Ingham, Livingston and Shiawassee counties.READ MORE: Michigan Matters: Pistons’ Rob Murphy on Helping His Hometown
Schuette said his office agreed to prosecute Casteel at the request of prosecutors from those three counties. He said the Oakland County Prosecutor will continue to handle the case filed in that county.
“Already, local, state and federal authorities have come together to protect the public, and this prosecution is a continuation of that cooperation,” Schuette said in a statement. “I look forward to working with my colleagues … to bring these cases to a close.”
Joy Yearout, with the AG’s office, told WWJ Newsradio 950 it’s a matter of efficiency.
“The three local prosecutors that approached our office and asked the Attorney General to consider taking this case now can free up resources locally and they don’t have to worry about coordinating with other counties and handling a complex case such as this one,” Yearout said.
“Obviously this case is unusual and it’s very complex in the different levels of investigators across the state that were involved, but we routinely handle cases that take place across multiple counties. This is just one more example of what we do for the people of Mivhigan,” she said.READ MORE: Ribs RnB Music Festival Kicks Off This Weekend In Downtown Detroit
The shootings occurred Oct. 16 through Oct. 18, then stopped until Oct. 27, when a man was shot in the backside while driving on I-96 near the Fowlerville exit. Authorities said the entire crime scene covered a 100-mile area. No motive has been disclosed.
Casteel was taken into custody on Nov. 5, after authorities received over 3,000 tips in the case.
Casteel has been charged and arraigned in Livingston County with six counts related to an alleged shooting incident on I-96 in Howell. The felony charges include assault with a dangerous weapon, carrying a firearm with unlawful intent, and discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle.
In Oakland County, Casteel is charged with 60 counts for incidents alleged to have occurred in that county.
Casteel has not yet been charged for alleged incidents that occurred in Ingham and Shiawassee Counties. Schuette’s Criminal Division will review evidence collected by the multi-jurisdictional task force and make a decision about what criminal charges should be filed, if any.
On Nov. 14, judges in Oakland County and Livingston County each ordered Casteel to undergo two separate competency and criminal responsibility tests to determine whether he is competent to stand trial in the respective counties.MORE NEWS: Judge Says Michigan Gov. Whitmer Won't Have To Testify In Abortion Lawsuit
Catch up on this story here.