MOUNT CLEMENS (AP) – A lawsuit against a priest and the Catholic church says they failed to protect a 14-year-old girl from sexual abuse by a 19-year-old man.
The Detroit Free Press says the suit was filed last week in Macomb County Circuit Court against the Rev. Michael Cooney, St. Peter’s Catholic Church in Mount Clemens, the Archdiocese of Detroit and sexual misconduct convict Michael Lentini.READ MORE: Michigan Matters: From Mackinac to Motor Bella, Major Events Return
The suit says the priest and church were negligent and failed to act after getting reports of the sexual misconduct.READ MORE: Rolling Stone Magazine Named ‘Respect’ #1 Song Of All Time
The archdiocese suspended Cooney in February 2012 after learning of the case, saying he apparently failed to report what he knew to police as church policy requires. He later was reinstated.
The newspaper says the archdiocese declined comment Friday. Cooney and Lentini have no phone listings.MORE NEWS: Fourth Stimulus Check: Will You See Another Relief Payment Soon?
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)