By: Tim Grzecki
Let’s just cut to the chase, the main event of WWE Fastlane was AWESOME! The match that Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns put on is an example of how pro wrestling should be. There was a clear story being told in the ring. Daniel Bryan was the smaller, quicker, smarter, better all-around wrestler. Taking on Roman Reigns, the stronger, tougher, more intense “powerhouse”. And they did it to perfection. That story ran through the entire match. From the beginning when Bryan was trying to stay away and going after legs, to when Reigns would punch his way out of holds.
I’ve been pretty hard on Reigns on these write-ups, and rightfully so, but tonight I have nothing negative to say. Tonight, I don’t care who was responsible for laying out the match. Tonight, I don’t care that Bryan is major reason the match was so great. Tonight, I do care that Reigns looked good, he looked strong, he looked like he belonged. And nothing is more important for him and his character at this point than to look like he belongs. Now follow it up with him looking strong again tomorrow night on Raw and his place in the main event of WrestleMania will be much more accepted.
The other highlight for me was the confrontation between HHH and Sting. HHH is money on the mic and everything he said felt real cause there was actual truth, albeit a skewed one, to the words he was saying. Sting’s facials were so intense, that painted face can say a thousand words. The physicality between the two was laid out well too. HHH getting the upper hand and going for his signature sledge hammer. Then getting stopped in his tracks by Sting with his signature bat. The two veterans did it right. Moving forward though Sting has to speak. I didn’t mind that he didn’t tonight, but he needs to explain why he’s there and why he wants that WrestleMania moment, preferably tomorrow night on Raw.
- Randy Orton’s return was the only good thing to come out of the six man tag match…and even that felt a little flat.
- I’m digging the Rhodes family drama. Stardust changing his makeup a little and not wearing the body suit to correlate the character change is a nice touch. Although I’m not a huge Cody Rhodes fan, I do enjoy him more when he plays a character that’s a bit off kilter.
- I like Cesaro and Tyson Kidd getting the tag titles. Now just for the WWE to actually allow them an opportunity to be important…to allow any tag team to be important.
- The Divas match was good up until the point Nikki Bella botched pulling the tights…how does that happen? How doesn’t anyone acknowledge it happened and abort that part of the story line?
- WWE is ruining Dean Ambrose. The old stealing the belt bit…really?
- Bray Wyatt coming out to the ring in the casket to The Undertaker’s entrance was a nice touch. I honestly don’t understand though why anyone is going to be invested in this match now that Taker isn’t undefeated anymore.
- It was nice to see Rusev get the heel victory with the low blow and Lana’s distraction. He needed to win and there’s nothing wrong with a heel getting a cheap heel win every now and then.