DETROIT (WWJ) – A charter bus from Michigan has reportedly been involved in a serious crash down in Arkansas, resulting in the death of six people.
The accident happened around 1 a.m. Friday along Interstate 40 in North Little Rock, when the bus left the roadway and collided with an overpass abutment near the U.S. Highway 167 interchange.READ MORE: Small Businesses In Michigan Saw Record Job Growth In 2021, Data Says
Arkansas State Troopers say six people died in the crash. Several others were injured.
The Arkansas Red Cross confirmed that the bus is from Michigan. According to reports, more than 20 migrant workers were on the bus.
WWJ reporters called the Detroit company listed on the side of the bus, Continental Charters — but company spokesperson Jeff Lawson said this particular bus was sold to a private owner last week who was interested in running charters from Michigan to the south.
“I sold the bus to him, he came in and paid me $8,000,” Lawson told WWJ’s Scott Ryan. “He told me he was going to run the bus from here to Texas and here to Florida. So he needed the bus to run people, I’m guessing, from Detroit here to down there.”READ MORE: Peace Officer Awards Ceremony Honors Life-Saving Heroes, First Responders In Oxford High School Tragedy
Calls to the current owner of the bus, whose address is listed in Florida, were not immediately returned.
Lawson said the man apparently disregarded orders to remove the Continental logo from the side of the bus before putting it into service.
Stay with WWJ Newsradio 950 and CBSDetroit.com for the latest.
MORE NEWS: Comcast Rise Awarding Grants To 100 Minority-Owned Small Businesses