DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – A man trying to kill bed bugs set himself and his apartment on fire.
Four units at the St. Antoine Gardens apartment complex in Midtown were destroyed by flames last weekend and about two dozen others suffered water damage.READ MORE: U Of M Establishes New Sexual Misconduct Policy For Employees, Students
A city official told The Detroit Free Press that the man sprayed himself and his sofa with rubbing alcohol about 4:30 a.m. Sunday and then lit a cigarette.AG Nessel Reissues Consumer Alerts Amid Flooding, Power Outages In Michigan
Mayor’s office spokesman Dan Austin said the sofa and the man’s body caught fire when he also tried to burn one of the bed bugs.
The man escaped the blaze, but suffered severe burns. No other injuries were reported.
This is the second recent incident where a major fire was started in Detroit by someone trying to kill bed bugs. In November, a woman sparked a fire at the Ramblewood Apartments on the west side while trying to eradicate the bugs from her apartment. The fire completely destroyed the 48-unit complex.MORE NEWS: 17-Year-Old Charged In Non-Fatal Shooting In Detroit
TM and © Copyright 2016 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2016 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.