SAGINAW, Mich. (AP) – Authorities say someone trying to make hashish caused an explosion and fire that damaged a home where marijuana was being grown in Saginaw and injured three people.

Saginaw Fire Department Captain James Champney says crews responded Sunday to a report of a butane explosion. He says multiple marijuana plants were found at the home.

READ MORE: The Detroit Zoo To Host Its Final Weekend Of Family-Friendly Halloween Event 'Zoo Boo' Oct. 22-24

Champney says three people escaped the home and had what were believed to be serious injuries, including burns. The Saginaw News reports they were taken to a hospital for treatment.

READ MORE: Tillson Street's Halloween Displays Draws Thousands

Firefighters initially had trouble getting into the home because of security bars on the door. Windows were boarded from the inside.

MORE NEWS: Kalamazoo Tests For Lead Exposure Following High-Lead Level Reports In Other Michigan Cities

The fire is under investigation.
© Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.