DETROIT (WWJ) – One of the three men accused in the fatal shooting of a 3-year-old Detroit girl on Easter Sunday has allegedly committed suicide.
The 24-year-old Ecorse man was found dead in the Wayne County Jail on Wednesday, according to authorities.
“The Wayne County Sheriff’s Office is saddened to announce the passing of an inmate assigned to its custody. Inmate Paul Kendall was found hanging in his cell earlier this morning,” said Undersheriff Daniel Pfannes, in a statement.
Pfannes said officers, jail medical personal and EMS personnel all attempted life-saving measures, but they were unable to save Kendall. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Pfannes said Detroit police will be investigating to determine if foul play could have been involved in the man’s death, while an Internal Affairs Section of the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office will conduct an administrative investigation to determine if all jail policies and procedures were followed.
Kendall was being held without bond on first degree murder and other charges in the March 27 killing.
Anaiya Denise Montgomery was shot early that morning after police said gunmen forced their way into home, on Riverview Ave. near McNichols and Telegraph roads. The opened fire, reloaded and then fired again, police said.
The Wayne County Medical Examiner said Anaiya died of multiple gunshot wounds. Two men inside the home, described as the girls’ family members, were also wounded.
Detroit police have said they believe the shooting was gang-related.
Investigators are now working to determine if Anaiya’s murder is connected to the fatal shooting of a 6-month-old child last weekend.
Kendall’s co-defendants — 19-year-old Reginald Street of Detroit and 30-year-old Jonathan Burks of Detroit, remain behind bars.