You feel it in the beginning stages … that slightly scratchy throat, that burning at the back of the eyes, the thickness in the throat.
You’re coming down with a cold.
But wait! It can be avoided, or at least curtailed, in many instances by using items from the pantry in old-fashioned home remedies that pack a modern punch.
Here are some ideas:
- Drink teas — they’ll add much-needed hydration if you keep it caffeine free and soothe your throat, especially if you add honey. Throw in some whiskey for a good night’s sleep. We won’t tell.
- Make it hot — Hot peppers will clear out your sinuses and some believe they clear out some germs in the process. Make dinner as hot as you can stand it and let the capsaicin do its work. Here’s a testimonial to using a jar of pickled jalapenos to stave off the worst of an everyday cold.
- Just add steam — According to everydayroots.com, a “beautiful almost –instant fix for a stuffy nose is to steam it out,” adding, ” You can glean the benefits of steam by breathing it in from a mug of hot tea, taking a hot shower, or filling a bowl with a hot water and adding an essential oil.” It clears out your sinuses and if you add an essential oil like eucalyptus it can add an antibacterial kick.
- Combine honey an onions into an elixir. Then stay away from other humans (we joke!). In reality, this all-natural cough syrup is promoted as chemical-free so it’s healthy, plus it saves money. Combine red onion/garlic, honey, brown sugar/white sugar for antibacterial help and comfort. Get the full recipe HERE.
- In the same vein, you can make yourself a salve that loosens up anything bad going on in your chest and opens up your sinuses. Combine 1/2 cup of coconut oil and 15 drops of peppermint essential oil in an airtight container. Get the full recipe HERE.