By Lori Melton
Ford Motor Company’s current fleet of quality-focused vehicles incorporate cutting-edge technology to enhance today’s tech-savvy customer’s driving experience. Whether you own a new Ford or are shopping for a new vehicle, here’s what you need to know about some of Ford’s exciting new gadgets and the functions they perform.
Ford’s latest generation of SYNC technology, SYNC 3, helps drivers perform a variety of hands-free functions which enable them to keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel. You can do a simple music search, adjust climate control and more.
- Navigation – Working with the optional Sirius XM Traffic and Travel Link, you can easily find popular restaurants or an out-of-the-way café. Automated turn-by-turn directions, imminent weather info, and traffic delays help you reach your destination.
- Wi-Fi Hotspot – Optional SYNC Connect allows drivers and passengers to stay connected on the highway for up to 10 devices via an in-vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot. Select models feature a 4G LTE Wi-Fi connection, powered by AT & T. You can track data usage via FordPass and it also works 50 feet outside of your vehicle, which may come in handy when you need to stop.
- Remote Access – A vehicle with SYNC Connect can also use FordPass to track your vehicle’s location, remotely lock, unlock and start your vehicle and even check your fuel level.
- SYNC AppLink – This slick feature enables you to launch and voice-control your favorite mobile apps and also access them by swiping through compatible ones on the car’s capacitive touchscreen.
- SYNC 3 Plus Android Auto – You can talk to Google, interact with your smartphone, make calls, return missed calls, listen to voicemails, read and send texts, and connect to Google Maps, Google Now and Google Music, all by using the power of Android Auto in your Ford. All these hands-free functions allow you to keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
SmartGauge with EcoGuide
You can monitor your driving performance and maximize vehicle efficiency by using Ford’s SmartGauge with EcoGuide to help you tweak your driving habits. This important feature offers Energy History, Energy Coach and Butterfly screens on an intuitive, high-quality LCD display.
Ford is staying ahead of the curve by offering innovative driver-assist technologies via a camera and sensors strategically mounted at various places on select vehicles. This invaluable feature allows you to be aware of other cars and objects beside and behind your car. Other assists are available via the Reverse Sensing System, Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) with traffic alert, Lane-Keeping System, and active Park Assist.
Standard Rear-View Camera
All Ford models come standard with a handy rear-view camera that allows you to see what is behind your vehicle as you slowly back it up. Watch the image via a convenient, quality display on the car’s touchscreen while you are in reverse.
Intelligent Access Push Button Start
This nice feature is standard on Focus Titanium, ST RS, and Focus Electric models and allows you to open the driver’s door by touching the inside of the front exterior door handle. Push-button start equipped vehicles enable you to start the car, simply by pressing down the brake pedal and pushing the start button with your finger.
Multiple USB Ports
Charge devices and listen to music via multiple, conveniently-placed USB ports in Ford’s vehicle lineup. With multiple ports, you can charge your smartphone and tablet at the same time, or sing along to your favorite playlist as you travel down the road.
MyFord Mobile App
Monitor the charge of your Focus Electric remotely via the MyFord mobile app or on myfordmobile.com. You can map out a road trip and plan multiple stops in a Trip Planner which will help you determine if your car has enough charge to reach your destination and give you directions to the nearest charging station. You can also maximize EV range by performing certain functions remotely before you start including setting the interior vehicle temperature and locking and unlocking doors. Plus, Smartwatch owners can now download an update for this app to perform these functions via their wrist.
Consult Ford’s website or contact your nearest Ford dealer to find out which vehicles offer the features described above.