LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Attorney General Dana Nessel is urging two of Michigan’s largest utility companies to increase the credits offered to customers who have suffered losses because of outages after nearly 1 million homes and businesses reported they lost power during storms last week.

According to DTE Energy, the storms carried gusts that exceeded 60 mph (97 kph) from late Tuesday through Thursday. The winds downed more than 3,000 power lines. The western and northern region of the lower peninsula were the hardest hit.

READ MORE: Michigan TV Weatherman Out After Refusing To Get Vaccine

About 19,000 Consumers Energy customers still didn’t have power early Monday, but the company was aiming to restore their power by the end of the day, said Katie Carey, the director of media relations for Consumers Energy.

Nessel is calling on DTE Energy and Consumers Energy to raise the $25 credits required by state law that customers can apply for if they’ve experienced a power outage for an extended period of time.

The credit should be automatic and should be increased to reflect costs such as the loss of hundreds of dollars worth of food, Nessel said in a news release Monday.

READ MORE: MDOT Update: Ramp Closures On I-94, I-275 As Part Of Rebuilding I-275 Project

Consumers Energy will stick with the current system and standards for credits but has provided about 12,500 customers with bottled water, boxed lunches, and tickets to zoos and water parks for families to get out of the house, Carey said.

Nessel’s press secretary Lynsey Mukomel said in an email that the current system doesn’t provide a fair response and that credits should be considered on a case-by-case basis reflecting the length of time the power was out and consumer costs resulting from the outage.

Nessel is running for reelection in 2022.

MORE NEWS: Shifting Ground Prompts Utility To Shut Down Gas Main In Southwest Detroit

© 2021 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.