DETROIT (AP) — Authorities are dropping a murder conviction against a man who is serving a life sentence for a fire that killed five children in suburban Detroit in 2000, a prosecutor said Tuesday, Aug. 31.

Juwan Deering | Credit: MDOC

The case against Juwan Deering was spoiled by the failure to share evidence that would have helped his defense, said Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald, who was elected last fall.

READ MORE: U Of M Establishes New Sexual Misconduct Policy For Employees, Students

Deering didn’t get a “fair trial,” she said, adding: “This is a dark day for this office.”

McDonald, noting a new state police investigation of the fire, stopped short of saying the charges would ultimately be dropped.

In 2006, Deering, now 50, was convicted of murder in the deaths in the house fire in Royal Oak Township. Authorities at the time said the fire was revenge for drug debts, though Deering repeatedly declared his innocence. No one could identify him as being at the house.

READ MORE: AG Nessel Reissues Consumer Alerts Amid Flooding, Power Outages In Michigan

McDonald said her office discovered a video of an interview with a fire survivor who said Deering didn’t commit the arson.

The prosecutor also said jurors and Deering’s defense lawyer were never informed that jail informants won substantial benefits for their testimony against him.

The Innocence Clinic at the University of Michigan law school had been trying to get a new trial for Deering, arguing that the fire analysis was based on “junk science,” but those efforts were unsuccessful in Michigan’s appellate courts.

McDonald said she will join a request by Deering’s attorneys to have the murder conviction set aside.

MORE NEWS: 17-Year-Old Charged In Non-Fatal Shooting In Detroit

© 2021 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.