Police: Kenyel Brown, Man Suspected In Connection To 6 Murders Shoots Himself

Latest Videos

First Forecast Tonight- January 24, 2021First Forecast
Michigan Matters: Business in MichiganSenior Producer/Host Carol Cain talks with Kenneth Harris, Richard Studley, Maureen Donohue Krauss and Chris Holman about the months ahead for Metro Detroit with a new president, pandemic and issues revolving around social equity all swirling.
Community Connect Segment - Talulah BelleAmy Fonville, owner of Talulah Belle tells us how her store provides a personal connection for everyone that walks through her doors.
Governor Whitmer Provide's Update On The State's Response To COVID-19Governor Gretchen Whitmer held a press conference Friday morning providing updates on the State's response to COVID-19. The governor announced the state would allow indoor dining to resume in Michigan starting Feb. 1. The new order will last three weeks, until Sunday, Feb. 21.
Covid-19 Headquarters: Don’t Let Covid Confusion Stop You From Getting The Vaccine Dr. Oz breaks down how to find vaccine information and centers in your area.
Daily Covid-19 Minute: Is It Time For The Double Mask?With a new, more contagious strain of Covid-19 circulating throughout the U.S., some experts are asking: Is it time for the double mask? Wearing one mask on top of another is a move embraced by many, from President Joe Biden to NFL football coaches, and researchers say... it’s not a bad idea.
Family Feud Question of the Day 1-22Watch Family Feud Weeknights @ 7 & 7:30pm Only On CBS 62!
Food Assistance Recipients Will See Additional Benefits By End Of January(CBS DETROIT) - The more than 1.2 million people in Michigan who are eligible for food assistance benefits will receive an additional payment by the end of January that raises their monthly amount by 15 percent to help families affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The 15 percent increase in Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits is for six months, ending in June. “No Michigander should worry about how they’ll put food on the table for themselves and their family, especially during a pandemic,” said Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. “COVID-19 is still a very real threat to our state, and we must continue providing crucial support to families that need it most. “I want to thank Sen. (Debbie) Stabenow for her leadership in securing this important increase and for her tireless efforts to expand access to food assistance, which has brought relief to so many Michiganders in need throughout this pandemic.” Michigan food assistance recipients will see the 15 percent increase added to their Bridge Cards by the end of January that are in addition to benefits they received earlier in the month. Food assistance increases by $102 per month for a household of four, which will now receive $782 per month. In subsequent months, the 15 percent increase will be added to Bridge Cards from Jan. 20-30. “Helping families put food on the table is our job,” said MDHHS Director Robert Gordon. “We’re glad we can provide more food assistance to Michiganders who are in need as a result of COVID-19.” Whitmer and MDHHS also are announcing continuation in January of an initiative that provides additional food assistance to 350,000 Michigan families as a response to the pandemic. Through the initiative, anyone receiving food assistance who doesn’t already qualify for the maximum monthly benefits will see their payment raised to the maximum monthly amount for their household size. Eligible clients will see these additional food assistance benefits on their Bridge Card by Jan. 30, with payments beginning for some households on Jan. 20. Anyone who receives both this payment and the 15 percent increase will receive them on the same day.
GM Cares Build Distribution Tents For Volunteers Working In The ColdCBS DETROIT) – An organization known for assisting others is getting some much needed help. When it comes to giving back to the community the volunteers are the unsung heroes. GM Cares is stepping in to keep those helping hands warm as they work to distribute food and care packages to families. GM Cares saw that volunteers from the Wayne Metro Community Action Agency were braving the cold weather, so the team went to the drawing board to create distribution shelters. The tents are designed to protect volunteers from the elements while they assist families in the pandemic. The new tents are making its debut tomorrow at Saint Albert The Great Catholic Church in Dearborn Heights in the parking lot from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Families can stop by and pick up fresh meat and produce, dry goods as well as personal care items. Organizers say the distribution tents will help volunteers continue to serve the community more comfortably. “Cold weather definitely did dwindle the volunteers a little bit at the beginning because it’s pretty cold. We get there pretty early to get ready for packaging. So, from packaging all the way to distributing, all the way to cleaning up, it’s a long time out there. Especially when it’s really cold or it’s snowing. Last week it snowed on us so, not having that shelter has been a little difficult so we’re excited that gm decided to jump in because they saw where we needed support,” said Brittany King, Wayne Metro Community Action Agency lead organizer. For more information on relief services call 313-388-9700.
Michigan Bowling Alleys Sue State, Seek Compensation For COVID-19 Closures(CBS DETROIT) – A group of Michigan bowling alleys and roller rinks are suing the state over revenue lost during the pandemic. "To put businesses in the position where they can't meet their obligations, they can't pay employees, they can't pay their taxes, and then say 'well I guess we own your property because you didn't pay your property taxes.' That is just so unjust,” said Attorney David Kallman. The lawsuit does not challenge the legality of the state's orders or list how much money the businesses are seeking in damages. Michigan's bowling alleys say they closed for eight months last year and a second pandemic order forced them to close for three weeks.
Michigan Reports 2,165 New COVID-19 Cases, 148 Deaths ThursdayMICHIGAN (CBS DETROIT) - The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services announced 2,165 coronavirus cases in the state and an additional 148 deaths Thursday. The deaths announced Thursday includes 128 deaths identified during a Vital Records review. This brings the state total of COVID-19 cases to 544,311 and 14,053 deaths as of Jan. 21, 2021.
City Of Detroit Expands Eligibility For COVID-19 Vaccine At TCF Parking Garage(CBS DETROIT)- With just a little over a week into the vaccine distribution at the TCF center, the city now announcing the expansion of those eligible to receive the shots. Since last week Wednesday things have been rolling along smoothly in the TCF parking structure, and because of this Mayor Duggan is expanding vaccine eligibility. The appointment process is something he says is only happening in Detroit. “This is the only place in America that anybody 68 or up can get on the phone get through to somebody in 15 minutes and have an appointment booked” During a press conference on Thursday, Duggan says the city has received over 10,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, and so far administered over 8,000. They have gone from scheduling 400 appointments on day one January , to now scheduling an average of 1,300 per day. He says the appointment process takes about 10 minutes, and is now open to more essential workers. “We are opening this up to the clergy, active members of the clergy who live or work in Detroit, and the other group we’re expanding to is funeral home and mortuary services employees” Duggan says the entire vaccination process at TCF is about 40 minutes, and for those eligible an appointment is necessary. He hopes to expand eligibility even more in the next week
Federal Judge Grants Preliminary Approval To $641M Flint Water Settlement(CBS DETROIT) - Preliminary approval of the $641.25 million civil Flint water settlement was granted earlier today by Judge Judith Levy of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. The Court’s approval order will become effective on Jan. 27, 2021. This preliminary approval formally establishes the process through which Flint residents can indicate their intention to file eligible settlement claims that will be processed and paid by the claims administrator. Judge Levy will still need to issue a final ruling on the settlement, depending on whether the settlement is fair, adequate and reasonable, after conducting a fairness hearing currently scheduled for July 12, 2021. It appears the public will be permitted an opportunity to offer input at the hearing, but the Court has discretion to control the extent of public input that will be permitted. “With Judge Levy’s preliminary approval granted, this historic settlement is one step closer to providing Flint residents with the financial relief that they may have otherwise never received if the legal back-and-forth were to continue in the courts,” Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said. “While final approval remains pending, the settlement can provide people with security that their claims will be heard and not tied up in legal proceedings for an indefinite period of time. Plaintiffs’ counsel and state attorneys, court-appointed mediators and a special master have all concurred that this agreement was made with the best interests of Flint in mind, and a federal judge has now determined that it meets the necessary preliminary legal requirements to proceed. As the court considers a final ruling in this settlement, we will continue to keep our focus on healing this embattled city.” Flint residents will have 60 days to register to participate in the settlement program. Following the registration period, Flint residents who have registered will have 120 days to file the documents necessary to support their claims. Detailed information on the registration and the claims processes will shortly be available on the claims administrator website. Assuming the Court ultimately grants final approval of the settlement, and there are no challenges to that Court order, it is estimated that the claims and payment process may be substantially complete before the end of 2021. The timeline may change depending on the Court’s schedule. Attorney General Nessel and Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in August announced a $600 million preliminary agreement to settle the lawsuits filed against the State after the City of Flint switched is public water supply to the Flint River in 2014. Defendants that joined the settlement since August include the city of Flint, which is providing $20 million through its insurer, and McLaren Regional Medical Center and Rowe Professional Services Co., which are contributing $20 million and $1.25 million, respectively.
Matthew Schneider Resigns As Detroit's U.S. AttorneyDETROIT (AP) — The chief federal prosecutor in eastern Michigan said he’s leaving office on Feb. 1 to join a law firm. U.S. Attorney Matthew Schneider served for three years. Changes are common when a new president from a different party is elected. “In the last three years, this team has overcome tremendous challenges, from the longest federal government shutdown in American history, to an enormous rise in violent crime, the greatest increase in civil unrest since 1967, and a global pandemic,” Schneider said Thursday. Schneider was appointed by the U.S. Justice Department and then nominated by President Donald Trump. Saima Mohsin will become acting U.S. attorney. The U.S. Attorney’s Office in eastern Michigan covers more than 30 counties, from the tip of the Lower Peninsula to the Ohio border. Schneider recently announced a deal with the United Auto Workers to put a monitor in place after a series of corruption convictions in the union’s senior ranks. He sharply criticized Trump this week for releasing former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick from prison, years before the end of his 28-year sentence for corruption. Kilpatrick was prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
Biden Will Pick A New Judge For Detroit's Federal CourtDETROIT (AP) — The federal court in Detroit could have one of President Joe Biden's first judicial appointments. U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts is taking senior status, which allows her to reduce her caseload. It also creates a slot for another judge, who would be nominated by Biden and considered by the Senate. Roberts' plan was announced soon after Biden became president Wednesday. Roberts, 69, has been a judge for more than 20 years. She was nominated by President Bill Clinton in 1998. Roberts currently is overseeing civil lawsuits against the University of Michigan for assaults by a late doctor, Robert Anderson.
FBI: Oakland County Man With Hockey Stick Assaulted Capitol CopsDETROIT (AP) — A Michigan man carrying a hockey stick during the U.S. Capitol riot struck police officers who were outdoors trying to protect the building, the FBI said Thursday. Michael Foy of Wixom was charged with five crimes, including assault and obstruction of law enforcement, for his alleged role in the Jan. 6 attack. Investigators said he crawled through a broken window at the Capitol after police were assaulted. The case was filed in Washington, but Foy appeared in Detroit federal court after his arrest. He will remain in custody until a detention hearing Monday. The FBI said a Facebook page belonging to Foy's father as well as a YouTube video helped investigators identify him. In addition, Assistant U.S. Attorney Hank Moon said Washington police have body-cam video. The YouTube video shows Foy striking officers who had been knocked down and dragged into the crowd of rioters, the FBI said in a court filing. “This attack continues for approximately 16 seconds until Foy is knocked down by another rioter. ... Foy raises his hockey stick above his head in celebration,” the FBI said. Foy is the second Michigan man to be charged in the Capitol violence. Karl Dresch of Calumet appeared in federal court in the Upper Peninsula on Wednesday.
Toddler Fatally Shoots 5-Year-Old Cousin While Playing With GunA 5-year-old boy has been fatally shot by his 18-month-old cousin who got hold of a handgun inside a westside Detroit home. Katie Johnston reports.
Break The Cycle: Bad Sleep Habits, Drew’s News with Kat GrahamBreak The Cycle: Bad Sleep Habits, Drew’s News with Kat Graham
Dr. Oz Asks Scott Peterson’s Sister If She Knows What Caused Him To Kill His Wife And Unborn ChildScott Peterson has spent the past 15 years on death row for the murder of his pregnant wife Laci and unborn son Conner, but shocking new legal decisions and juror controversy mean he could be set free.
True Crime: Will Scott Peterson's Murder Conviction Be Tossed? Why His Sister Says He Should Stay In PrisonScott Peterson’s sister tells Dr. Oz about the inappropriate behavior she witnessed from her brother when he stayed at her home after Laci’s disappearance.

Search Video