Shoe Drive Kicks Off
Visit CBS Detroit's
As students get ready to head back to school this fall, one organization is doing its part to make sure local children start the semester off with the footwear they need.
NorthPointe Foot & Ankle has kicked off a four-day shoe drive to provide K-8 students from struggling families with properly fitting shoes and socks. Several organizations will be collecting new and gently used footwear, in all sizes, to be donated to Lighthouse of Oakland County. NorthPointe will contribute 50 pairs of shoes to the cause.
Families with children in need of shoes can stop by Lighthouse from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday, August 24th. Lighthouse of Oakland County is located at 46156 Woodward Ave. in Pontiac.
Northpointe is also holding free PAD testing on Monday, August 16th at the Southfield Parks and Recreation building from 1 to 3 p.m. Dr. Jeffery Frederick will be on hand to screen for Peripheral Arterial Disease, a serious circulatory problem that could lead to strokes and heart attacks. Testing is painless, and free to those who donate a new pair of shoes or socks to the drive, on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The shoe drive will run from Monday, August 16th through Friday, August 20th. For drop-off sites, see the list below.
- NorthPointe Foot & Ankle, 27901 Woodward Ave, Suite 110, Berkley, 248-545-0100
- American Diabetes Association office, 30200 Telegraph, Suite 105, Bingham Farms, 248-433-3830
- Drayton Clinic, 4400 Dixie Hwy., Waterford, 248-673-1244
- Northwest Podiatry, 5755 W. Maple, West Bloomfield, 248-626- 7180
- Oakland Regional Hospital, 22401 Foster Winter Dr., Southfield, 248.423.5100
- Red Wing Shoe Stores,
- 4189 Baldwin Rd., Auburn Hills, 248-322-9300
- 28271 Woodward Ave, Berkley, 248-399-4459
- 43438 West Oaks Drive, Novi, 248-465-0700
- Rochester Center for Foot & Ankle Surgery, 1135 W. University, Suite 235, Rochester, 248-651-0162
- Royal Oak Medical Center, 5130 Coolidge Hwy, Royal Oak, 248- 288-9500
- Salon 59, 4823 Highland Rd (M59), Waterford, 248-674-7480
- Southfield Civic Center, Parks and Recreation Building, 26000 Evergreen Road, Southfield, 248-796-4620
- Tagai Family Chiropractic, 3355 Union Lk. Rd., Commerce Twp., 248-366-7017