Egg Recall Grows to 380 Million

A recall of eggs linked to a Salmonella outbreak is being dramatically expanded to 380 million eggs.

Health officials say hundreds of people have been sickened in a salmonella outbreak linked to eggs in 3 states and possibly more.  A recall first announced last week was expanded from 228 million to 380 million eggs, or the equivalent of nearly 32 million dozen egg cartons. Eggs from Iowa were linked to several illnesses in the three states. Thoroughly cooking eggs can kill the bacteria, but health officials are recommending people to throw away or return the recalled eggs. The eggs were distributed around the country and packaged under the names Lucerne, Albertson, Mountain Dairy, Ralph’s, Boomsma’s, Sunshine, Hillandale, Trafficanda, Farm Fresh, Shoreland, Lund, Dutch Farms and Kemp.

The Food and Drug Administration is investigating the egg company.

For more information on the recall, click here.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Constance Maylone says:

I’m happy to receive the information because I have a computer but what about the people who listened to the news report this morning and don’t have one? The announcement was that 228 million eggs were being recalled but no names mentioned. I wouldn’t have wanted tp eat breakfast this morning not knowing if I was being infected with salmonella. A loyal listener

2. sylvia rozek says:

are koger eggs in this recall?

1. Shannon says:

it says that they are not recalled so i suppose not.

3. Dan says:

I’m with Sylvia…… any Kroger eggs in that batch?

1. WWJ Newsroom says:

Kroger brand eggs are not included in the recall, but check the brand name on your carton. The only brands included in the recall are: Lucerne, Albertson, Mountain Dairy, Ralph’s, Boomsma’s, Sunshine, Hillandale, Trafficanda, Farm Fresh, Shoreland, Lund, Dutch Farms and Kemp.

4. Amy says:

how about meijer’s eggs?

1. WWJ Newsroom says:

Meijer brand eggs are not in the recall.

1. R Lewis says:

Meijer brand eggs has a use by date on them but does not tell where they came from. Why

5. s lewis says:

I called Meijer and they said that their eggs come from weaver Eggs and are not in the recall. I got eggs there last week and
    have not gotten sick on them.

6. s lewis says:

I am replying to R Lewis. Meijier eggs come from Weaver eggs.
    I have some and haven’t gotten sick on them.

7. s lewis says:

Hey people! I just saw where Meijer, Kroger, and Walmart
    are saying they don’t sell any of the brands in the recall.
    Well, here’s a news flash for them, I just recently bought
    eggs at each of these stores. they are all brands that are
    in the recall. I bought them in the last three weeks. Yet, they
    have all told me their eggs are not in the recall. How do they explain that? Hmm?

8. j anderson says:

I had a fried egg this morning-Meijer brand-I am sick! Their brand is not supposed to be recalled…..