37 Students Sickened At U-M Sorority House
Health officials are investigating whether a norovirus may have made 37 women sick at a University of Michigan sorority house.
Firefighters were called to Delta Delta Delta on Tappan Ave. after people at the house reported nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Three people were taken to the hospital, according to Assistant Ann Arbor Fire Chief Greg Hollingsworth.
Firefighters checked to see if carbon monoxide could have made the women sick, but no issues were found.
All the women that were ill had eaten together that evening. Washtenaw County Public Health is now investigating.
According to Washtenaw County Health Supervisor Kristen Schweighoefer, norovirus is often spread by eating food prepared by or handled by another ill person. It is highly contagious and does cause symptoms like those reported by the U-M student.
Learn more about norovirus from the Center for Disease Control at this link.
(Copyright 2010 WWJ Radio. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)