Chemical Mixup Prompts School Evacuation

View Comments
Grow your business smarter.

Visit CBS Detroit's

Small Business Center.

fordson Chemical Mixup Prompts School Evacuation

(WWJ Photo/Ron Dewey)

A Dearborn high school was evacuated, Wednesday morning, because of a strange smell throughout the building.

Dearborn Fire Chief Rich Miller said it seemed that two chemicals, chlorine and muriatic acid, both of which are normally used in pool operations, were somehow improperly mixed or applied and caused noxious vapors to permeate the school.

Police and Fire officials assisted with an evacuation of Fordson High School and all students were sent home for the day. As a precautionary measure, the Wayne County Hazardous Materials Team also respond to the scene.

Students told WWJ’s Ron Dewey it seemed like smoke or was a burning smell they noticed early in the morning before they were told to leave the school.

No one was injured, but the school employee who accidentally misapplied the chemicals was overcome by the vapors and was sent to a walk-in medical facility for treatment, Chief Miller said.

Classes were expected to resume Thursday after the building’s ventilation system is cleared and the school is deemed safe for occupancy.

 (Copyright 2010 WWJ Radio.  All Rights Reserved.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,974 other followers