A medical examiner has ruled that a 15-year-old northern Michigan girl was fatally shot by her abductor who then killed himself. The Wayne County medical examiner’s office said Thursday that Raymond Bush of Newport died of a single self-inflicted gunshot wound and that Taylor Manley was shot multiple times.
Police, Wednesday night, found Newport and the teen dead in a van in a cemetery, hours after she was expected to testify against him on charges alleging he sexually assaulted her.
State Police troopers, acting on a lead, located the vehcile in a cemetery in the southeastern Michigan community of Newport, about 35 miles outside of Detroit and 170 miles southeast of Reed City in Moroe County.
State Police Detective Sgt. George D. Pratt told The Associated Press on that Bush’s ex-girlfriend told investigators he called her Wednesday morning and said he fatally shot Taylor and planned to kill himself.
State police had issued an Amber Alert on Wednesday morning for Taylor Manley saying she had been kidnapped from the Reed City area and Raymont Bush was a suspect.
Bush, of Newport, who had a tattoo of the girl’s name on the back of his neck, was scheduled to appear Wednesday in 80th District Court, where he was charged with two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct, authorities said.
State police tell WWJ that it may take time to work out how it all happened.
“Understand that we have several police agencies involved in this investigation throughout the state of Michigan, so we are getting information from Reed City down to the Detroit area, trying to piece everything together to determine how this all came about,”1st Lt. Mary Kapp with the Michigan State Police in Monroe said.
Stay with WWJ for more on this developing story.
(Copyright, 2010. WWJ Newsradio 950, All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report)