Mercury Found In Troy Home
A Troy home is deemed unsafe for humans because mercury was found in a crawl space.
Troy police say the new owners of the home on E. Square Lake Road near John R found 13 jars of mercury in a crawl space as they were tearing up the floor during renovations.
Troy Police Spokesman, Bob Redmond says the Environmental Protection Agency is leading the cleanup effort.
“Start with tearing out the whole floor of the whole house, they got to dig out a foot or two out of the crawl space,” Redmond said. “The air itself, it’s in the air, it could be in the wood, it could be everytime you walk around you stir up the dust so all that has to be removed.”
A hazardous materials team was called in and determined that the mercury levels were so high inside the house that it was unsafe for humans.
Cleanup is expected to take a couple days.