Three Workers Burned In Explosion
Three maintenance workers were injured Thursday morning in an explosion in Ann Arbor Township.
Washtenaw County Sheriff’s officials say that three employees were doing work on a sewage pump at around 8 a.m. when leaking gas exploded in a sewer drain.
The explosion happened on Dixboro, near M-14 and U-S 23. WWJ got the details from Ann Arbor Township Fire Chief Rick Erickson, who was at the scene.
“We had a construction crew that was working in the lift station, apparently trying to light a heater at the bottom of the 30-foot lift station. They had a propane tank leak, a large propane tank leak, and it created the explosion,” Erickson said.
One of the men was down in a well when the blast occurred, and was reported to be hospitalized in critical condition.
The other two men, who were entering the well at the time, suffered burns. One of them was treated and released while the other remained hospitalized Thursday afternoon.
An investigation is ongoing.